Tuesday, January 4, 2011

Almost Famous Broccoli-Cheddar Soup

I was so excited when I found this recipe in an issue of Food Network Magazine! It's a huge hit with the whole family. I've never seen Silas eat a bowl of soup (that is speckled with green and orange) so fast.
Silas did the stirring,
I just poured the ingredients in


Preparation time:  30 Minutes
Cook time:  40 Minutes
Serves:  the recipe says 4 but I think you could feed 6

Ingredients:
6 tablespoons unsalted butter
1 small onion, chopped (i used my food processor)
1/4 cup all-purpose flour
2 cups half-and-half
3 cups low sodium chicken broth
2 bay leaves
1/4 tsp freshly grated nutmeg (I use the stuff that's already ground)
Kosher salt and ground pepper to taste
4 cups broccoli florets (about1 head will be enough)
1 large carrot, diced (I use 2)
8 oz grated sharp white cheddar and 8 oz sharp yellow cheddar (about 2 1/2 cups total)

Directions:
Melt the butter in a large dutch oven or pot over medium heat.  Add the onion and cook until tender, about 5 minutes.  Whisk in the flour and cook until golden, 3-4 minutes, then gradually whisk in the half-and-half until smooth.  Add the chicken broth, bay leaves and nutmeg, then season with salt and pepper and bring to a simmer.  Reduce heat to medium-low and cook, uncovered, until thickened, about 20 minutes.

Add the broccoli and carrot to the broth mixture and simmer until tender, about 20 minutes.  Discard the bay leaves.  Puree the soup in batches in a blender or food processor (or use an immersion blender) until smooth; you'll still have flecks of carrot and broccoli.  Return the pot.

Add the cheese to the soup and whisk over medium heat until melted.  Add up to 3/4 cup water if the soup gets too thick.

Chef-in-training
Serving suggestions:
Make boule (on my list to try) or pick up some from the closest bakery and serve soup in bread bowl.
Serve along side 1/2 sandwich or salad.
Silas loves to eat plain chips with his (tonight we had UTZ brand ruffled chips).

1 comment:

  1. Already loving it and looking forward to more! AND I think I'm going to try this recipe this week, sounds perfect for the cold weather. :)

    Oh and I'm the first follower, I think I deserve a gold star! haha. We miss you guys! Love from us both to the 4 of you!!

    ReplyDelete